A thru-hike in charts and numbers: PCT mileage stats

You may also like...

17 Responses

1. R.R. Butters says:

So Comprehensive! Some would say too much so!

All I know is I want to be back out there and I need to get my journal and specs together

I’m sure you’ve seen the following Moleskine journals

Anyways, good entry as always!

• Alice says:

Yeah, I know you have the same info. I didn’t even have to record most of what I coded — I was able to recall if I went to a town or not or what the campsite was like based on what I put in my journal. That being said, my journals have NOTHING on Kolby’s — mad props to him.

2. Jene-Paul says:

Data gives the shape of a thing, same as paint on a canvas or a musical score on a page. These AARs (after-action-reports) are not *too* comprehensive and they give form to things which taken discretely are fleeting and trivial but have greater meaning taken together.

I love the detail on “alice hikes.” I never took the time to interpret what happened on a hike or a ride afterwards—only as early as a teenager (and still, today), I began to plan the heck out of whatever undertaking contemplated *beforehand,* with notes on every aspect, references to others’ experience, predictions of how something would be handled best. And I also turned out to be terrible at planning where I was gonna be when. Mostly the prepared notes just helped me learn about where I was headed and I often ended-up brute-forcing my way through understanding it once I got there.

Everybody hikes their own hike; this kind of writing is as close as I’m ever gonna get to a thru-hike of the PCT. Thank you.

• Alice says:

I definitely find the after-the-fact analyzing more manageable than before the trip planning, at this point in my adventuring career. Let me know if you’d ever like me to crunch your bike data.

3. gwendolyn says:

wow! I did CA in 85 and OR/WA in 87. I have all this data from our trip journals but wow! hard to fathom it now but then? congrats on all the crunching. I plan to rehike during this 30 year anniversary and further compare.

• Alice says:

How exciting to get to walk the same trail twice, separated by 30 years. That sounds like a wonderful trip – best to you on all your planning! I’d love to hear how it goes.

4. Gil says:

Hi there, Do you still monitor this? i have a couple questions for you if you do. Such great data.

5. Jaspen says:

These statistics are AWESOME! 138 Snicker’s Bars! I love it!
    Can you tell me about what dates you were in the Sierra Nevada, around and north of Lake Tahoe?
    Some friends and I want to hike in and be “Trail Angels” for a day, bringing water, food & goodies to Thru-Hikers.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

6. Epiphonexdk says:

the spread of parchment.

7. Plasticxui says:

(palimpsests). In the XIII-XV centuries in

8. Carpetrdn says:

(palimpsests). In the XIII-XV centuries in

9. alyssa says:

My name is Alyssa Krause. And I am a professional academic writer with many years of experience in writing.

My interest is to solve problems related to writing. And I have been doing it for many years. I have been with several groups as a volunteer and have assisted clients in many ways.
    My love for writing has no end. It is like the air we breathe, something I cherish with all my being. I am a full-time writer who started at an early age.
    I’m happy that I`ve already sold several copies of my books in different countries like England and others too numerous to mention.
    I also work in a company that provides assistance to many clients from different parts of the world. Students always come to me because I work no matter how hard their projects are. I help them to save time, because I feel happy when people come to me for professional help.

Professional academic Writer – Alyssa – kirklandwriter.com Corp

10. Pouringzdy says:

new texts were rewritten

11. Generationfhf says:

handwritten books were made,

12. RainMachinerih says:

Europe, and in Ancient Russia

13. Rachiozji says:

among them acquired “Moral

14. Superchipstnk says:

Century to a kind of destruction: